Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Confessions of a Secret Agenda

There is a very famous quote that I love that goes something like this...."The unexamined life is not worth living."

Therefore, I am an avid proponent of expanding ones spiritual experiences through constant spiritual learning. My favorite mentors are God, Tony Robbins (yes, I have completed all but two of his live seminars and tapes series), Dr. Wayne Dyer, Marianne Williamson, Dr. Depak Chopra, Lazarus and my very own personal spiritual and life coach, the internationally renowned Tricia Brennan of Austrailia. http://www.triciabrennan.com/. Sorry for the shameless plug but she's the best and my friend of 25 years, Gina Raith, life coach and yogamaster extraordinaire, (www.bewelltogether.blogspot.com).

I am in a constant state of learning and self discovery, and I confess that part of the reason I have to tap into these resources daily is that I am a slow learner and unless I keep pounding it into my brain, it seems to float out into the ethers as fast as it goes in.

One of the most exciting and rewarding aspects of home schooling for me is the chance to expose my young children, whose minds are spiritual and intellectual sponges at this point in their young lives, to a constant flow of this "stuff". (I cleverly disguise it as a "leadership class" and we open with it every day for about 30-45 minutes). Today began with another segment From Tony Robbins drilling in the concept of "what you focus on you get".

I always try to tie our leadership principles into the reading and grammar segment so that the learning is enriched and they link the concepts together in their brain. In the segment we listened too, Tony suggests that in order to focus on the right things and get what you really want, you have to do three things. 1] define precisely what it is that you want, 2] make it bigger than life in your mind so you are inspired to attain it, and 3] create a Massive Action Plan that will allow you to meet your goals in spite of the inevitable obstacles that you will face.

The action plan must include Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C etc... so that your chances of succeeding are increased. So, this became the morning's writing assignment. I suggested that they each choose to draft a plan for attaining for their hearts deepest desire.

I was hoping for things like "an end to world hunger" and "to create the world's first solar powered car". I got "doughnuts" from Child A and "a Pokemon Seedot" from Child B. Undeterred from my goal of permanently penetrating their minds, I lead a guided meditation to help stir the creative juices. They both began feverishly writing and within a few moments had committed what I considered to be a sufficient amount of ink to their journal pages. Austin was totally "in the zone" and had whipped out a poem that was pretty close to being a final draft. She was very proud of her work (justifiably so) and insisted on reading it to both of us over and over ad nauseum. So we decided to video tape her dissertation. You can see the results of this for yourself on our family homeschool website. Very funny!

And at the end of the day, I did what every obsessively health concious mother would do. I took the kids out for a doughnut. Krispy Kreme was closed, as well as the local dougnut shop, and by our third stop, we settled for a box of sugar coated Entemann's. In this case, the need to create a "magic moment" that would last forever trumped the organic natural food Nazi in me. The remnants of the packaged doughnuts sit pretty much untouched on our counter, and tomorrow, I will toss them under the pretense that "they have exceeded their expiration date".

Do they even have an expiration date?

No comments:

Post a Comment